Rosh Hashanah is a bit early this year so you may want to buy this card and save it for 2021. Hoping for a sweeter world by then! Find it here.
It’s 2020 and Inktober’s reputation has been tarnished beyond repair (everything else is ruined, so why not?) Since then dozens of new and/or lesser-known lists of spooky art challenges have sprouted in its wake, so I thought I’d make one too. You could try drawing album covers, portraits of the musicians, comics about the creatures, anything really. Or just use the songs as your October soundtrack. Links to the songs are right below the list!
- Shep Wooley, “Purple People Eater”
- The Cramps, “I Was a Teenage Werewolf”
- Dr. Octagon, “HalfSharkAlligatorHalfMan”
- Bauhaus, “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”
- Rasputina, “Transylvanian Concubine”
- Sid Hemphill, “Old Devil’s Dream”
- Screamin’ Jay Hawkins, “Little Demon”
- Alice Cooper, “Feed My Frankenstein”
- White Zombie, “I’m Your Boogieman”
- Slint, “Nosferatu Man”
- Outkast (feat. Kelis), “Dracula’s Wedding”
- Talking Heads, “Psycho Killer”
- David Bowie, “Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)”
- The Sonics, “The Witch”
- Sam the Sham & The Pharoahs, “Lil’ Red Riding Hood”
- The Specials, “Ghost Town”
- The Boss-Tones, “Mope Itty Mope”
- ESG, “UFO”
- Avey Tare’s Slasher Flicks, “Little Fang”
- Type O Negative, “Be My Druidess”
- Santana, “Black Magic Woman”
- Incredible String Band, “The Minotaur’s Song”
- Chavela Vargas, “La Llorona”
- Daniel Johnston, “Casper the Friendly Ghost”
- Roky Erickson, “I Walked With a Zombie”
- Shorty Long, “Devil with the Blue Dress”
- Robert Johnson, “Hellhound on my Trail”
- Germs, “Manimal”
- Misfits, “I Turned Into A Martian”
- Residents, “Herman the Human Mole”
- Grouper, “The Man who Died in His Boat”
“the red one” Prints coming soon.
I turned my zodiac-mermaid series into shiny new greeting cards! The first three are available in my shop, and I plan to release them in groups of three or four over the next few months🦀🦁🌿
I want to make this series available as prints soon, once I have access to the large scanner at work again. As you can see, this latest one got a bit cut off at the bottom.
Here’s a quick spontaneous animation I made today for Día de los Muertos/Day of the Dead.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year again! My Inktober theme this year is Child Ballads: Monsters, Maidens, and Murder. Here are my sketches so far:
Come back here through October to see new drawings added to the list below! And you can listen along to the series with this playlist I made: https://open.spotify.com/embed/user/1232271124/playlist/4s2cfFeRAWQyYLdqX1u0OO
- The Devil’s Nine Questions/Riddles Wisely Expounded (#1)
- The Elfin Knight (#2)
- The Three Ravens/Twa Corbies (#26)
- The Mermaid (#289)
- Sheath and Knife (#16)
- King Orfeo (#19)
- The Laily Worm and the Machrel of the Sea (#36)
- Edward (#13)
- Sweet William’s Ghost (#77)
- The Holland Handkerchief/The Suffolk Miracle (#272)
- Cockle Shells/Waly Waly (#204)
- False Knight on the Road (#3)
- Thomas the Rhymer (#37)
- The Farmer’s Curst Wife (#278)
- took a sick day, no drawing
- The Great Silkie of Sule Skerry (#113)
- skull-heart thingy (took a break from drawing ballads)
- Barbara Allen (#84)
- another sick day
- The Unquiet Grave (#78)
- The Wife of Usher’s Well (#79)
- sick day
- sick day (rrgh)
- The Cruel Mother (#20)
- The Twa Sisters (#10)
Here are the sketches I’ve done for #illo_advent so far. Hopefully I’ll have time to do a few more before the 25th!
This was my third Inktober and I wasn’t able to participate every single day this time, but I’m still pretty happy with ideas I came up with that I can develop into finished work. See my entries from the last two years below (the links will take you to my old blog)
Here’s a free line drawing to print out and color in for Halloween! Just click on the picture to save it at its full 8.5×11″ size. If you color it in, show me what you did and I’ll share it on this post. Happy Halloween!
That’s purple pit bull pegasus puppies.
Hopefully these are enough ice pops or ice lollies to tide you over till the end of summer. By next summer they should be available on clothing 😉
It’s Monday! Have you checked your cupboard for stowaways?
Ugly 70’s couches, vinyl slipcovers optional but recommended.
I wish I had makeup in all these colors so I could do real life RGB and CMYK-themed makeovers.
These started out as everyday practice sketches, but I decided to color them in. This is a portrait of a luna moth. Their wings get most of the attention, but they also have really fabulous antennae:
And this is a hornet moth (great example of mimicry here— I would definitely run the other way)
Illustration from an as-yet-unfinished Lotería deck.
“Al pasar por el panteón, me encontré un calaverón.” / “Passing by the cemetery, I met a really big skull.”
My dog is much more of a giver than a taker.
How many ways can you gaze into the future? Nearly everyone has tried anthomancy at least once, but what about lecanomancy, oomancy, ailuromancy, or if you can afford it, margaritomancy? The future really is everywhere you look.
One merraccoon is cute and clumsy, the other is crafty and a bit creepy, but they are both excellent sea scavengers.
Please do not say “poached”— they aren’t attractive in this illustration style.
A couple of recent Daily Dog sketches, showing a couple of dudes doing what they do best.